Can you believe the holiday shopping season is already upon us? As a local business ourselves, HTC is always happy to support the small boutiques, gift shops and restaurants around our community, so we’ll definitely be shopping local on Small Business Saturday, November 30th. Whether you’re shopping in Waterloo, Columbia, Red Bud, Valmeyer, Dupo, or any other of our great communities, we encourage you to do the same, by staying local, as you begin your search for the perfect presents!
What is Small Business Saturday?
In 2010, American Express designated the Saturday after Thanksgiving as Small Business Saturday to encourage consumers to support their local communities. Since then, awareness has spread like wildfire about the benefits that small businesses bring to their home towns. In 2018 alone, small retailers took in a record $17.8 billion in sales (up from $12.9 billion in 2017) according to a Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey.
What do Small Businesses Do for Our Community?
Not only do small stores, coffee shops and restaurants make our Main Streets what they are; they also offer numerous benefits to the cities where we live.
- They give back. Small businesses donate 250% more than larger businesses to non-profits and community causes (Source: Seattle Good Business Network).
- They keep money in the local economy. If you spend $100 at a local business, roughly $68 stays local, vs. $43 if you spend the same at a large business.
- They create jobs. According to Forbes, 47.5% of U.S. employees (59.9 million) in 2018 were employed at a small business. Small businesses consistently produce new jobs, fueling economic growth and contributing to a low unemployment rate.
- They support other local businesses. Small business owners (especially in small towns like Waterloo) often fill their shelves with items made by area residents and food grown by local farmers. This provides unique gifts and the freshest produce to customers while helping fellow local business owners succeed.
- They help the environment. Many small businesses are walkable, meaning shoppers don’t have to spend hours on a highway emitting gas fumes into the air. Instead, they can simply wander around areas like Waterloo’s courthouse square while sipping a delicious latte from a local café!
Thank You for Supporting Our Local Business
Because of our customers who have chosen to stick with a local Internet and TV provider, we’ve enjoyed many years of success in our small community. We’d like to express our gratitude for your support. Happy Thanksgiving, and Happy Small Business Saturday Shopping from all of us at HTC!